Our mission is a private initiative focusing on the restoration and preservation of the historical and cultural legacy of the Sarajet for the greater benefit of the public. In addition to our conservation-led approach to sympathetically restore the Sarajet, our aims are to educate the public on the heritage of the Sarajet and its land, to welcome the enjoyment of its structure and surrounding gardens, and to facilitate learning, growth and well-being.
Such initiatives will include active outreach into the communities of which the Sarajet and its surrounding land holds significant historic value and benefit. Such communities include the wider community of the Orosh heritage and historic environment and academic communities who value the Sarajet to be of significant historic and cultural import.
All efforts will be made to employ local craftsmen, masons, carpenters, electricians, etc., giving them an opportunity for work as well as being involved in this historical endeavor.
The Sarajet was the common link with the people of Mirdita and the Sarajet will be the focal centerpiece for bringing Mirdita together culturally once again.
Our end goal and overall vision for the “Sarajet e Kapidan Gjon Marka Gjonit” is that it will become a historical landmark which will offer public accessibility and enjoyment in a way otherwise unavailable. This will be achieved in the following ways:
- Restoration: We intend on restoring the Sarajet with a sensitive, conservation-led approach to reinstate its original historical state. We aim to design its interior to a condition that is favorable to its historical legacy as a Mirdite Kulla. The principle rooms which form the main part of the historical interest for the house will be open to the public.
- History and Heritage: It is our goal to honor its history and legacy as a piece of Albanian heritage, and we aim to contribute to this body of knowledge by offering tours of the land and house for the purpose of education.
- Community: Our project extends beyond a simple restoration endeavor. We see acres of an ancient property of magnificent beauty that can bring people together in cultural activities, learning seminars, civic events, private events or simple relaxation and enjoyment away from life’s challenges. We believe there is something that anyone can benefit from the estate.
- Education: Our team will consist of educated volunteers with academic backgrounds. It is our hope that we can serve as a branch in the Mirdite region to facilitate learning and growth in any and all disciplines of study that will help contribute to the overall body of knowledge.
- Beautification: Our goals are to improve the land with the help and assistance of professional horticulturalists and to create gardens that will be publicly accessible for the enjoyment of all. This in turn will attract locals and tourists to enjoy the peace and tranquility that the bucolic landscape of Gryke Orosh has to offer.